Skip to main content

WHAT I HAVE BEEN UP TO


Hello guys, I used to blog at glimmerngloss.blogspot.com, my last post was a new year post in 2016 and after that I had serious writer’s block so I kinda gave up on my writing which is a really silly thing to do, I felt like I let my readers down no matter how few they were. Reviving my blog is probably one of the very few good things about this coronavirus lockdown. Before we get into 2020 let me take you people through what I have been up to.

When I started blogging I was in makeup school so my blog was focused majorly on makeup back then. I was a makeup artist and I was pretty good at it but I was a broke makeup artist but I didn’t let that stop me because I love makeup and doing what you love is a lot of fun.

I had clients but they were not transcribing into money, a lot them didn’t see themselves paying so much for makeup from a newbie. It wasn’t all gloom though I had some pretty amazing clients that appreciated my work until one day. I had a job at Ikorodu, wedding makeup for the bride and mother of the bride, we agreed on a price and all other details. When I got to the hotel the night before the bride informed me that I’ll be doing makeup for her bridesmaids and sisters, my mistake in this was I didn’t agree on the price for the extra people with them.

Makeup started as early as 6:00 am with the bride, mother of the bride, 8 bridesmaids and 3 friends, when this was over my back was aching like crazy all I wanted to do was sleep. When it was time for payment that was when the problem started apparently they were not aware that they had to pay and the bride was not going to pay more than she already paid for anyone. I was beyond livid and speechless because I couldn’t believe I stretched myself thin for this but I didn’t want to cause drama on her big day so I decided we will hash it out after the wedding (big mistake)

On my way out of the hotel weaving my heavy makeup box I fell and tumbled on some stones, my leg was bleeding so much and I just sat down there I just looked at myself and I said No this is really not what I want to be doing. when I got home I was telling my then-boyfriend what had happened and he was so livid and basically said you’re not doing this anymore not like I needed help deciding this anyways but it helped me not feel like a quitter and considering the bride was not forthcoming with paying my money after the wedding I just gave up on everything altogether.

I fully launched my retail business Lushdose that same year and I worked as an auditor alongside in the Office of the Auditor-General.

Another hobby of mine a lot of people don’t know is planning events, I love planning events even talking about it makes me giddy, I always end up taking our my friends parties if I didn’t start planning it from the beginning but I didn’t really consider doing it commercially until 2019.

I wanted to test my feet in the water first before finally making a decision to be a full-time planner, although I’ve planned a lot of events in the past even the ones most event planners would consider tough which is the type event funds are reliant on different sponsors not just one client which always left me sick on the day of the event itself because relating with so many sponsors that all want different things is a lot of stress on its own not to talk of the dealing with vendors.

I decided it was best for me to apply to work in an already established Event Production Company just to get the feel of event planning in a structured environment. I applied for an Experience Designer Role (a fancy way of saying event planner) and this period was probably one of the most fulfilling periods of 2019 for me I gained so much knowledge and planned quite a number of various types of events without breaking a sweat or even falling sick.



I left the event company in January of 2020, after amassing so much knowledge to set up my own Event Planning Company “The Event Comp”. So now I have a big baby “Lushdose” and a little baby “The Event Comp” and I’m so excited about what the future holds.

I had a conversation with Esho Romola of Zapphire Events sometime last year and she asked where do you see yourself in 10 years and I replied I see myself owning one of the renowned event planning outfits to be reckoned with in Nigeria and globally and she goes oh so you want to compete with Zapphire while laughing and I laughed too, I don’t think I can ever forget that conversation because it motivates me.

Then coronavirus happened and it just put life as we know it is on hold, we were practicing social distancing to reduce the spread of the virus but did my people listen NO, now we’re on lockdown we have so stay indoors. one of the positive is that my family has somehow gotten closer because we don’t exactly have a choice anyways we have to spend time together.

Aside from spending time with my family I have been mostly sleeping and playing games and reading books to stay sane this period. I see a lot of people on social media saying this is the time to learn new skills, gain new knowledge or you’ve wasted your time, how about this is the time to take a break and not do anything, we don’t have to be productive every day of our lives that’s how to burn out happens. Sometimes just take a break especially now that the earth is forcing everyone to take a break.

Please don’t forget to wash your hand and listen to the instruction from the government and WHO and not send unconfirmed messages on WhatsApp

Stay Safe Guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concealer: Before or After Foundation?

Prior to my enrollment in makeup school, I always knew concealer should be applied after foundation but when my instructor was creating the first look, she said concealer should go first and I was startled like 'what is she saying, this is just wrong'. This was going on in my head anyways (I didn't say it out but had my poker face on), even though I felt she was doing the wrong thing. Next day I got to school early and a couple of other trainees that were around, so I randomly asked; "should concealer be applied before or after foundation and they both said it should be before foundation with so much confidence". Well... I wasn't going to back down because I still didn't agree with the rationale behind their position but I don't enjoy arguing, so I just let it pass and more so, I wasn't about to make concealer an issue. Moving on,  I was working on my models and I decided to try out both methods, "before and after foundation" and I realis

PRODUCT REVIEW: L.A. Girl Pro Primer Eyeshadow stick

I'm currently attending the House of Tara makeup school ( that's why I have not had time to post), when we were given our starter kit the eye shadow primer was sold out then  and I needed one so I went in search of one that was affordable, I went to Ikeja City Mall to see which one I can get and I saw this beauty I had not seen any previous reviews on this product so I didn't even know what it could do, I bought it because of the packaging. This primer comes in three shades; white, nude and black. I picked the white at first then I saw the nude and decided to go with the nude, this primer is easy to handle when applying it unto your lid, it glides on smoothly so you and blend into the skin with your finger  According to the L.A. Girl website   Pro Primer stick is a multi-tasking primer that has a light weight, non-sticky formula that sets for long-lasting eye makeup application. The smooth texture glides over eyelids to prep your eyes for a flawless, even

Style Hacks

Hey guys, It's important to looks great at all times be it summer, winter , harmattan, party, school or cookouts and there's no room for mishaps but then mishaps still also happen. I remember a while back in secondary school, the school was repainting the building and I, in my usual playful self brushed the wall and got paint on what I was wearing and this was a period school just resumed so everyone is looking peng  you just can't afford to look scruffy and not on point and this was first week of school everyone was wearing their best and this made me feel a little sad because I couldn't figure out how to get the stain off  so when I saw that bloggers were sharing Betabrand's style hacks graphic, I remembered my paint mishap   and how I couldn't figure out a way to get rid of it until much later, I was more than happy to write about style hacks. Betabrand is an amazing online store based in San Francisco, they let the fans co-design and crowdfund and they